HARBS' RANT - May, 2016
HARBS’ RANT – MAY 2016
A big welcome to all families, members, supporters and sponsors for 2016. I have had a few people in my grill about another instalment and apologise I am three months overdue… I have had writer’s block and tendinitis in my typing fingers… for over a year… it is a tough gig.
After a gruelling pre-season that started back in early November, 2015 our playing record sits at 4 wins, 3 losses. Sitting in the top 5 entering the State Bye is an acceptable start but we have played in a few losses where everyone has not contributed on the day. This has been disappointing. Our 4 wins have been courtesy of a true, honest, 21 player effort which is the basis of the way we want to play all the time.
It has been encouraging to see some of our U16’s and U18’s kids thriving on the hard work that U18’s coach Darren Reeves, U16’s coach Chris Gerhardy, and their assistants are throwing at them on Tuesday and Thursday nights. They are starting to benefit and understand the value of hard work and what it takes to make it at SANFL level. Some impressive youngsters that have caught my eye during games that I have seen are; Harrison Elbrow, Malachi Ahmatt-Lovett, Jackson Hately, Bradley Pilkington, Bradley Matters, Bailey Zobel and Ryan Falkenberg.
As always I will share a brief insight into some of our new recruits:
- # 5 Elliot ‘Kav’ Kavanagh – Very silky midfielder/wingman that has exceptional skills and is a great decision maker. He is also a fine finisher in front of goal. Kav has moved over from Melbourne with his lovely partner Annabelle and their baby (dog – Archie). They are both enjoying the slower pace that Adelaide has to offer.
- # 6 Fraser ‘Swiss/Ivan’ Fort – Tough as nails key defender that has proved to be as solid as a rock for our club in defence. Doesn’t say too much (his BOG speech at presentations after the Crows game was a good laugh) but is a ripper of a bloke and I am glad he is on my side!
- # 7 Nick ‘Ned/Mort’ Holman – You would think he still plays for Carlton with all the gear that he still wears to CDFC training. ‘Mort’ has been an invaluable pick up through the midfield adding the grunt that we lost with Thommo and Potts leaving. Chris Jansen and ‘Mort’ currently spend more time together than a married couple (both work at Zorich Group together, are locker buddies and live approx. 1km from each other).
- # 9 Jacob ‘Temps’ Templeton – Returning from a stint at WWTFC. Great to have Temps back as he is a fantastic utility and one of the strongest/fittest medium/tall players in the SANFL. His business JT_fitness_performance (check it out on Instagram) is going very well and has another business venture on the way!
- # 30 Darcy ‘Plow’ Fort – The big fella is fast earning the reputation as one of the best ruckman in the competition. Super competitive with a good set of dukes. Some of the verbal/wrestling battles that big ‘Plow’ and his brother ‘Swiss’ have bring back the good old days of the Gowans Twins!
- # 48 Mark ‘Rumbles’ Rumbelow – The hidden gem recruited from the Nuriootpa premiership team of 2015, playing under Darren ‘Reeva’ Reeves (now CDFC U18 coach), has added a new dimension to our back-up ruck stocks as well as a massive target up forward. We are looking forward to him taking more hangers as the year progresses!
The development of Jordy Furnell, Brendan Dew, Cohen Pettitt and Dylan Weaver, just to name a few, has been outstanding. All these players are quality individuals and show enormous care and respect to the footy club and their preparation to training and playing.
The form of Luke 'Yabby' Barmby, Travis Schiller and Justin 'Pest' Hoskin has been a pleasure to watch from the best seat in the house over the first 7 games of the year. These guys thoroughly deserved to be picked in the State Squad and are having great start to the year. Chris Jansen and Darcy Fort were extremely unlucky to be overlooked.
BULK GOSSIP FROM THE KENNEL
As always it is interesting to let people know of some of the ‘antics’ that a few of the players have been up too:
- Trent Goodrem and his wife Carly are expecting a baby in August
- Matty Prior and his wife Chels are expecting a baby in August
- Chris Gowans and his wife Rikki have recently had a little girl
- James Gowans and his wife Christie have recently had a little boy
- Kris Grant is still grumpy
- Murray Stephenson still has red hair
- Scott Stevens still has no hair
- Nick Gillard visits the hairdresser once a fortnight
- Caleb Edmead thinks Joe Root (English batsmen) should be the PM of Australia
- Justin Hoskin has proven to be the king of the fish and has a back log of players wanting to go on fishing trips with him.
- Josh Waldhuter won’t be happy about Hosko taking over his mantle!
- Daniel Havelberg is making a slow and steady return to gaining some fitness and could be a possibility to return later on in the year
- Kyle Presbury currently looks like something between a sheep and al paca
- Dylan ‘Wizard’ Weaver is in awe of his old man Mark. He is continually backing winners
On a personal level my form has been very inconsistent over the first 7 games and I am looking to contribute more. We have a quality squad of individuals that have fanastic character. The culture that we have at the football club is brilliant. We are indebted to the past players, coaches, officials and volunteers for their contributions in developing such a fantastic football club.
Thanks to everyone once again for all your support. We have the strongest fan base in the league and we will continue to strive to be the best.
Brought to you by
latest club newsBulldog Crowd Cash is back in Season 2017...
The winning ticket holder is entitled to the consolation prize of $200 Read more on this